Friday, October 23, 2015

Here we go!!!!

Dear friends,

Earlier this month I saw the exhibit Someday is Now:  the Art of Corita Kent at the Pasadena Museum of Art.  On coming back home, I ordered a copy of the book Learning by Heart, the book co-written by Corita and Jan Steward.

It is so inspiring that my mind is still whirring at almost 5 a.m. pacific time, and its been whirring since 1:40.  This is most unusual behavior for your Bookcharmer, as I am what is known as a "good sleeper."

I will write more coherently about what I have in mind for this book club, but it starts with this:

get the book.  Start with your library of course, and if you decide you want your own copy, search this ISBN 9781581156478 in your favorite independent book supplier, start with http://www.indiebound.org/ but also check out abebooks or alibris if you want a used copy.

Then, read!  Think about what art projects you want to try.  We can try them on a schedule, or do them in any order you want.  We'll think up some useful hashtags so we can post images and thoughts on social media so we can see what our experiments produce.  Maybe we'll schedule a twitter chat, a google hangout, or even an in person meeting.

If anyone happens to be in the SoCal area, do get over to the Pasadena Museum of California Art, as the Someday is Now exhibit is only up through the end of October!!!  Here's the scoop on place and times:  http://pmcaonline.org/exhibitions/someday-is-now-the-art-of-corita-kent/

There is so much to talk about in this book:  teaching, creativity, materials, and looking.  The assignments that have you practice observing are very compelling to me right now as I feel like I'm in constant visual overload and want to learn to slow and harness the the way I experience visual information.  That is probably my biggest goal in experiencing the art assignments.

So let's get started.  Get the book!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful book! I'm excited to participate. I like the idea of trying out the projects on a schedule.

    ReplyDelete